Sake, a beautiful voyage of discovery!
New in the offer of WSET are the Sake courses.
Sake offers a huge diversity. Apart from many different styles, like sparkling sake, aged sake, red sake etcetera, there are also different categories, regions, terroirs and types of rice. Get inspired and discover the diversity of this beautiful Japanese drink.
The WSET Level 1 Sake courses are taught by Weinakademiker Piet Vannieuwenhuyse van WineWise. Not only does he have a great passion for the Japanese food culture, Piet also passed the WSET Level 3 Sake successfully and was offered additional education in Japan to become WSET Level 1 Certified Sake Educator.
We also collaborate with Simon Hofstra, owner of Taste of Sake. He not only is WSET Sake Educator, but also Sake Samurai, winner of the Sake Contribution Award and Co-Chairman of the International Wine Challenge.
* For people working in Horeca or wine trade
* For professionals working with sake or considering starting to work with sake
* For the beginning sake lover.
No entry requirements, apart from wanting to learn to taste sake and to work with sake in a responsible way.
Some courses will be taught in Dutch, but the study material and exam are always in English.
* A minimum of 7 hours + exam (1 hour)
* WineWise offers WSET level 1 Award in Sake both as an open course and as an in-company training.
* Wine merchants and other companies: create a group of minimum 8 people and request an offer free of obligation here.
What you´ll learn
* The basic principles of sake production
* The main types and styles of sake
* How to serve sake
* Factors affecting the flavour of sake
* How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
* Download here the WSET Level 1 Award in Sake specification.
Internationally recognized WSET exam
Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 30 multiple-choice questions.
Upon successful completion (a total mark of 70% or more) you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
Weinakademiker Piet Vannieuwenhuyse, WSET Certified Sake Educator.
* WSET Level 3 Award in Sake. Please contact us if you are interested in this course. Once we have gathered a group of 10 people, we will offer this level in Belgium.
* Keep up sessions to keep your liquor knowledge up-to-date – more info
* € 245 (excl. VAT – € 296,45 incl. VAT) – classroom
* Re-sit exam: € 85 – attention, a “NO SHOW” without doctors proof is also considered as a re-sit.